Dear friends and colleagues,
Imagine being able to explore vegetation anywhere in the world, anytime. We are building an open-access database of georeferenced vegetation photos set in their global climatic context.
To view the beta version of our website and to contribute photos of your own, please visit http://gveg.wyobiodiversity.org/
We require the following information:
1. Photo of plant community (or landscape)
2. Photo credit (name of photographer)
3. Place name (location, trail name, etc.)
4. Geographical coordinates (lat/long in decimal degrees, WGS84). Ideally to 5 decimal places, but at least to 2 decimal places.
5. Vegetation type (i.e., what you call the plant community)
6. A few common species in the vegetation (latin binomials)
Here is an example of the type of photo and the scale of interest
2. Credit: Daniel Laughlin
3. Fire Point in Grand Canyon National Park, Arizona USA.
4. 36.35 -112.36
5. Montane conifer forest
6. Pinus ponderosa, Poa fendleriana, Castilleja linariifolia